34 replies to this topic

#1 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Has anyone done any testing with different types of tubing? Is metal, PVC, or something else the best?

#2 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

250 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:09 PM

I have only done metal. Aluminium, Copper, and electrical conduit (not sure what that is, steel maybe?). PVC seems like it would be really fast but you couldnt get the length you need due to sagging. Unless you braced it somehow... or somebody knows something I dont. 

#3 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:18 PM

I have only done metal. Aluminium, Copper, and electrical conduit (not sure what that is, steel maybe?). PVC seems like it would be really fast but you couldnt get the length you need due to sagging. Unless you braced it somehow... or somebody knows something I dont. 

I can see that PVC could be a problem due to sag. I also saw that you cab buy fiberglass impregnated tubing.  I imagine that it would be stiff enough.  I also see that DragonPlate makes Carbon Fiber tubes in .40" and .54" ID too.  That would be nice and light... and strong!

#4 Hrawk

Hrawk
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

My two favourite types would be Drawn Aluminium Tube (Not Extruded!) and Carbon Fibre Tube.

Both will set you back about $10 - $15 per metre, a little more for larger sizes.

http://www.capral.com.au/Drawn-Tubes

http://www.carbonfib...m.au/prod24.htm

#5 The Warrior

The Warrior
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I made them out of electrical conduit as a kid. My dad showed me how to make homemade darts too. You'd probably laugh if you had seen them, but, crude as they were, they worked.

#6 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

250 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:42 AM

Electrical conduit works great. and is very cheap. I shoot mine all the time. 

#7 treefork

treefork

250 Club

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:20 AM

I like 1/2 inch electrical conduit because i get a nice 7 footer that doesn't sag.I believe that would be @ .62 cal bore.The mouth piece being a PVC connector. A safety is formed after cutting with a tubing cutter. A little camaflauge duct tape and your ready. Looks awsome and best of all its dirt cheap.

• neondog likes this

#8 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

250 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:51 AM

I like 1/2 inch electrical conduit because i get a nice 7 footer that doesn't sag.I believe that would be @ .62 cal bore.The mouth piece being a PVC connector. A safety is formed after cutting with a tubing cutter. A little camaflauge duct tape and your ready. Looks awsome and best of all its dirt cheap.

Yep the PVC mouthpieces are great. That is what I always use. My conduit BG got bent so I need to make another. Good thing the total cost is only $2

#9 orcrender

orcrender
  • Gold Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

I like the electrical conduit also.  I made one from PVC and to fix the sag put 2 90 degree metal edging pieces centered and about 1 foot long.  That defeated the weight savings but it shot very nice.

#10 Turtle

Turtle
  • Moderators
  • 189 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Do you happen to have a pic handy of the pvc mouthpiece your using?  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users