Close
Photo
- - - - -

What Have You Done To Your Commercially Made Blowgun?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Have you applied any coatings to the barrel? Replaced the mouthpiece? I would love to hear what you guys have done!

#2 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

250 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

Magnet near the mouthpiece so that you can hold the BG at any angle and the dart will not fall out. 

#3 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:13 PM

Magnet near the mouthpiece so that you can hold the BG at any angle and the dart will not fall out. 

That's smart!! Does it affect the dart velocity at all?

#4 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

250 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

I havent noticed any. However there are people out there that claim it makes the dart FASTER! 

#5 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

I havent noticed any. However there are people out there that claim it makes the dart FASTER! 

What is their rationale? I'm not sure that I could see how that would be the case. 

#6 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

250 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:39 PM

What is their rationale? I'm not sure that I could see how that would be the case. 

From what I gather they believe that the slight magnetic resistance allows for more compression of air. But I think they are reaching a bit. I don't notice a difference with or without a magnet, 

#7 Hrawk

Hrawk
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:46 PM

One of the legends of the Air Cannon world did some pretty intense testing of this and found that yes, it does increase velocity if done correctly as you have a higher air pressure moving the projectile for more of it's travel.

#8 treefork

treefork

250 Club

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:26 AM

I've done the magnet near the mouthpiece inside a section of plastic hose to act as a magnetic quiver and keep the dart from sliding down the bore. Camo duct tape for appearance. Looks cool

#9 cjb4u

cjb4u
  • Registered
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIowa USA

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

The BG I had many years ago had a Teflon coating on the inside. I can not remember what brand it was but It would hall tail and packed a heck of a punch. I do not remember caliber it was 20 years ago. I was wondering if a thick oil would work well and help with any tolerance imperfections.    

#10 neondog

neondog
  • Registered
  • 190 posts
  • LocationS.W. corner of Oklahoma

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:17 PM

It is a great help for anyone with poor technique. If the air pressure applied is low for the first tenth of a second, it can push the dart a foot or two down the bore before it begins optimum acceleration.so a four foot barrel would wind up performing more like a two footer. If the magnet is strong enough it prevents dart slide caused by lower pressures.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users