BGF Speed Club

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 Lightgeoduck

Lightgeoduck
  • Moderators
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

Hey Todd, do it only when you feel comfortable.  No shame in not getting there.  Have fun. :)

Dont lie to Todd, there is a whole lot of shame... He is required to earn a badge or he will be out ... he needs the pressure, and thrives on it.... It is the tough love that he deserves for being an outstanding member of the community.

note that only goes for Todd, everyone else have fun :)

• GrayWolf likes this

#12 GrayWolf

GrayWolf
  • Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Hey Todd, do it only when you feel comfortable.  No shame in not getting there.  Have fun. :)

Dont lie to Todd, there is a whole lot of shame... He is required to earn a badge or he will be out ... he needs the pressure, and thrives on it.... It is the tough love that he deserves for being an outstanding member of the community.

note that only goes for Todd, everyone else have fun :)

Ok...so now I have the president of my fan club...anyone else want to be in the club?  :P

Thanks LGD...I'm feeling the love.  I'll get there...cause I want to stay in...might take me a little while, but I'll get there.  Shoot...I haven't even gotten my 300fps badge with a slingshot....yet....hehe.

Turtle...thanks for the thoughts.  I only do this for the fun.  While I like to compete, I don't care if I win.  I'm here to take last place so no one else has to...oh yea....and to have more fun than an old(ish) guy should legally be allowed to have.  :D

Todd

#13 M_J

M_J
  • Moderators
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:06 PM

Turtle...thanks for the thoughts.  I only do this for the fun.  While I like to compete, I don't care if I win.  I'm here to take last place so no one else has to...oh yea....and to have more fun than an old(ish) guy should legally be allowed to have.  :D

Todd

Don't listen to him, he's a well-known sandbagger!

He came to the Summer Nationals Slingshot Tournament saying the same thing and ended up taking home third place B)

#14 Turtle

Turtle
  • Moderators
  • 189 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:05 AM

He's like one of those cars they call 'sleepers?'  :)

#15 Turtle

Turtle
  • Moderators
  • 189 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

This is going to be challenging for me!  I set up my chrony and have some good heaves into the pipe but my best

speed was 123fps using 12 inch skewers.  I don't think those are really going to be the winning darts for this

competition.

#16 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, I think those are probably too heavy, unless you have a really long pipe.  

#17 neondog

neondog
  • Registered
  • 190 posts
  • LocationS.W. corner of Oklahoma

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Or they could be too light. Try adding some weight to one with a wire wrap or tinfoil and see what happens. You might be surprised.

• NightKnight likes this

#18 Lightgeoduck

Lightgeoduck
  • Moderators
  • 138 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Or they could be too light. Try adding some weight to one with a wire wrap or tinfoil and see what happens. You might be surprised.

I am starting to believe that is so... I still haven't broke 200 yet (soon after I get some gear I need), but the first tests with cone and skewer, then lightening it up, I realized that I was losing speed.  January is the month of speed for me (maybe Feb :) )

LGD

• NightKnight likes this

#19 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Now that I think about it, more weight does make sense!  It allows for more pressure to build before it starts moving.  Similar principle to the magnet. 

#20 cjb4u

cjb4u
  • Registered
  • 154 posts
  • LocationIowa USA

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Just like in fire arms a lot plays a role. Aerodynamics, inertia, explosive velocity, drag & resistance and efficiency,   At least with a firearm you can be consistent with your propelling properties. Making sure you have the right volume pipe to match your lungs and how quickly you can expel your air will mean a lot as well.  I hope to be able to join this competition with in the next month or so. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users