• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Carbon

Carbon
  • Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:30 PM

I was thinking that as a forum it might be a good idea to create a "standard" homemade blowgun design that is inexpensive, readily available, and simple to make. I am also needing a new blowgun...

So here's the plan. A couple of days from now I will head down to the local hardware store with $20. The plan is to be able to purchase everything I need for under $20 and be able to build it in a night or two. Hopefully we can then refer new members to the build log if they ask about making their own blowgun. 

So some stuff we need to figure out:

BG material. Copper, pvc, ect.

Dart material. Bamboo, wire, nails

Cone material. Duct tape, other?

I'm thinking for simplicity pvc with bamboo darts and duct tape cones is the way to go. But I'm worried people might run into problems with pvc sagging. Ideas?

~Ben

• GrayWolf likes this

#2 Turtle

Turtle
  • Moderators
  • 189 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

Great idea!  I'm thinking if you can get some hard copper for a decent price?  Bamboo darts are probably the cheapest and

duct tape yes?

#3 Carbon

Carbon
  • Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:39 PM

I'm thinking so. Even though duct tape has become more expensive lately :(

Copper should be easy to find at the local hardware store. I don't know the price of it. But I will get a 5ft piece if that's what we're going with. What thickness?

#4 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

250 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

Yea 20 bucks is more then enough. Even if you went with expensive copper. I would say the most common home made blowguns are conduit.

#5 GrayWolf

GrayWolf
  • Registered
  • 14 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

Making paper darts will save money.  All that is really needed is the paper from old magazines and a glue stick.  One glue stick will make a lot of darts and is cheaper than duct tape. 

I would rather spend a little more on the tube than the darts to start with...but that is me.  Glue, tape and the bamboo skewers could also be bought at the dollar store, again saving a little money.

Todd

#6 orcrender

orcrender
  • Gold Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

Never had a 4 foot section of PVC sag.  But if you get 5 foot of any thing you can use a cut off for checking your cones.

#7 Carbon

Carbon
  • Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

I think I may just try out a few different types. Copper and pvc seem to be the easiest to get a hold of. I think I may give LGD's packing tape blow darts a go or duct tape cones too. I guess I'll go there tomorrow. Ideas for a mouth peice for copper?

#8 neondog

neondog
  • Registered
  • 190 posts
  • LocationS.W. corner of Oklahoma

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

How about a contest? No prize just notoriety. Who can assemble the cheapest fully functional four foot blowgun preferably with no tools that aren't typically found about the house. If all the entries were in one thread, newcomers could pick and choose from all the submissions to work with those things available to them.

• Carbon likes this

#9 Carbon

Carbon
  • Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:05 PM

That is actually an awesome idea!

I'm up for it, perhaps someone could make up a graphic for the winner? I'm not very good at such things..

#10 superman365

superman365
  • Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMilky Way Galaxy

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

I am in for sure!!!!!.....are darts part of the deal?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users