• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#11 neondog

neondog
  • Registered
  • 190 posts
  • LocationS.W. corner of Oklahoma

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:26 PM

I am in for sure!!!!!.....are darts part of the deal?

It's just a funny pipe without darts.

• Lightgeoduck and Carbon like this

#12 Carbon

Carbon
  • Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

yarr, darts included. BG and darts, basically a starter package. I guess I'll put a thread up!

#13 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

The rules will need to state what parts would be included in the final product.  As an example, will it need a mouthpiece? Ferrule?

#14 Turtle

Turtle
  • Moderators
  • 189 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:45 AM

Keep in mind I just picked up 300 bamboo skewers, they were cheap enough but I'll be lucky to get a 1/4 of useable darts out

of them as the majority are either bent, wavy, or out of round.  I thought of getting out the kettle and steam bending a few of

the salvageable ones.  Just a note.

#15 Pelletor

Pelletor
  • Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Cone material. Duct tape, other?

Above was one of your questions Carbon.

I started out using regular printer paper for my cones.  Many still do and coat them with CA glue.

I switched to extruded milk jug plastic heated with a candle and press a plumb bob (or other appropriate shape) into the heated clear spot.

I also use 21" wire from cheap flag wire as my dart shafts but I have found it possible to get brightly colored cones using their flags too.

The labels on 1-2 liter soft drink bottles make fine and "free", light  and waterproof dart cones.

Thin packing tape ( mine is light brown) that I stick onto a single layer of newspaper ( I can easily read the print through the tape) makes a fine robust dart. Packing tape side out so even if this gets wet it dries quickly and can be reused many, many times. (I've never wrecked one from just shooting it).

I glued a 1/2 thick piece of pink insulation foam board on to a flag wire shaft with Gorilla Glue and sanded it into a sphere ( more or less) so the diameter was just right for the ID of my BG and that worked well but was more work than it was worth.

I have also used an unraveled fuzzed up piece of rope as the "cone", didn't like it much but it works. I think that is the extent of my dart making experience thus far?

#16 Silent Stalker

Silent Stalker
  • Registered
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOmaha, NE

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:44 PM

what is sagging for PVC? I use a a CPVC pipe and it is about 2.5 feet long and it works fine, is it just for longer PVC?

#17 neondog

neondog
  • Registered
  • 190 posts
  • LocationS.W. corner of Oklahoma

Posted 23 February 2013 - 11:56 PM

The problem of sagging isn't typically noticed until the pipe in question is in excess of three feet. The sag on a five foot pvc pipe is almost unbearable unless some form of external support is added.

#18 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:15 PM

With a little heat from a heat gun a person can deliberately add excessive sag to a length of pvc so that when it is held horizontal holds itself perfectly straight. You can get lucky and get it right off the bat but usually it entails a lot of fiddle fartin around. Once you get it just right the only thing  you have to do is to remember to always hold the excessive bent pointing upwardly so when it is held horizontal it realigns and holds straight. A reference line or mark on the barrel can help with a  consistent hold. 

I have not had any luck with this approach with anything approaching 5 feet or more. 4 feet is quite doable.

• GhostHawk likes this

#19 squirrelslinger

squirrelslinger
  • Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

yea... PVC is the best.

a 5 foot section of THIN-wall copper pipe is $20-25.

a 5 foot section of alumniun is roughly 15$ on the cheap side.

#20 southpinoy

southpinoy
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

i made my blowgun from a half inch pvc pipe 5 ft long. it doesn't sag. i wish i could show you how i did that. i just dont know how to post a picture here. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users