• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 GhostHawk

GhostHawk
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFargo ND

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

I just use a zip tie in fluorescent orange cut short as my front sight.

I see the ghost barrels but the zip tie helps me get the elevation right.

#22 muddog15

muddog15
  • Registered
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Good idea, I'll have to try it. Thanks, I have always shot instinctive.

#23 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

250 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:34 PM

I have been having a hard time telling myself lately to put the target in the exact center of the two "virtual" barrels. I usually end up shooting to the right of the target unless i remind myself. Perhaps the zip tie thing will help me.

#24 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 15 January 2014 - 08:18 AM

Yesterday I took a bunch of twist ties all twisted together to make one thick twist tie and wrapped it around the muzzle and twisted it tight. The result was a post-like front sight about 1 inch high. On my 60 inch long 50 cal BG I can hold dead on at roughly 7 meters. I took five pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 inch black electrical tape and placed four of them out towards the corners of my target stop and the fifth one in the middle. After about ten shots trying to figure out how to use the sight, the next five shots I hit four out of those five squares of tape and the fifth missed because I had a bad blow. But that had to be four of the best consecutive shots I've ever had. Oh I've made some great shots shooting instinctively but not four in a row like that. I think there is something to be said for using a front sight!

I will be playing with this a lot more in the future. I wish there was a way to decrease the distance seen between the two sight images that are seen while seeing the ghost images of of the BG barrel while sighting the target. What I see on the target looks like a sight post on each side of the point of impact that I want and the posts appear to be about 14 inches apart as seen on the target. I'd like to be able to bring those seen posts in closer to each other to be able to take a finer aim on the target.  Ideas anyone?

#25 GhostHawk

GhostHawk
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFargo ND

Posted 15 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

Keeping in mind teach that I am very new at this myself. And I suspect results will vary depending on your eyes, and distance.

Once I had a sight for my blowgun I started experimenting by squinting one eye a little, aim with the other eye, and let fly.

I quickly found out that in my case my left eye is now dominate.  Back in the 80's when I was a firearms safety instructor they were pretty much identical, but time changes all things.

What I'm saying is that through process of elimination, you can figure out WHICH of those images to use to aim.

In my case I use the right barrel for vertical and center the target between them puts me right on target. You will have to learn the "recipe" for your eyes.

It sounds like your shooting pretty long range stuff.  On my half inch PVC blowgun (3 ') shooting at 7-8 yards the ends of the barrels appear to only be a barrels width or 2 apart.

I'd say shorten your distance but it sounds like your hitting your targets at that range so rock on man.

Remember left eye = right barrel image.

I really think your almost there teach, smack em bro!

#26 Chips

Chips
  • Registered
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWestern Cape, South Africa

Posted 16 January 2014 - 04:35 AM

Yesterday I took a bunch of twist ties all twisted together to make one thick twist tie and wrapped it around the muzzle and twisted it tight. The result was a post-like front sight about 1 inch high. On my 60 inch long 50 cal BG I can hold dead on at roughly 7 meters. I took five pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 inch black electrical tape and placed four of them out towards the corners of my target stop and the fifth one in the middle. After about ten shots trying to figure out how to use the sight, the next five shots I hit four out of those five squares of tape and the fifth missed because I had a bad blow. But that had to be four of the best consecutive shots I've ever had. Oh I've made some great shots shooting instinctively but not four in a row like that. I think there is something to be said for using a front sight!

I will be playing with this a lot more in the future. I wish there was a way to decrease the distance seen between the two sight images that are seen while seeing the ghost images of of the BG barrel while sighting the target. What I see on the target looks like a sight post on each side of the point of impact that I want and the posts appear to be about 14 inches apart as seen on the target. I'd like to be able to bring those seen posts in closer to each other to be able to take a finer aim on the target.  Ideas anyone?

very true! i found it works particularly well when combined with the way of shooting using your tongue to seal the blowgun whilst holding pressure behind it and then releasing your tongue to fire.

• GhostHawk likes this

#27 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 12:17 PM

Chips, tounguing the blow gun is a very important shooting technique. I used that for years without even knowing I was doing it. I got a post over on Lefora from Neondog that offered the suggestion of trying a card sight. I will be giving that a try.

• Chips likes this

#28 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 06:51 PM

Chips, tounguing the blow gun is a very important shooting technique. I used that for years without even knowing I was doing it. I got a post over on Lefora from Neondog that offered the suggestion of trying a card sight. I will be giving that a try.

Well I gave that card sight a try and WOW what a difference it has made in my shooting. I have a square piece of foam that is about 4 inches thick and roughly 2 feet x 2 feet square. I take 3/4 inch squares of electrical tape and put four of them out in the corners of the foam sheet and one more in the centre. These just give me something to aim at as I don't use paper targets. After about 5 or 6 ends of five darts each I was really zeroing in on those squares from about 7 meters. On the next round I place 4 out of 5 darts into the electrical tape squares. I darn near cr_pped my drawers! Wooo Hoo!   :sword:  I have never had four consecutive great shots in a row like that before. I was really stoked.  :thumbsu: 

The difference? I made up a card sight for the barrel of the BG and I'm amazed at how it has improved my shooting. Sometimes it's hard to get the right image as my eyes fight for dominance but when I do my part it works awesome for me! Wish I had heard of and tried this before. Cheap, quick and dirty. Just the way I like em! 

#29 craftsman

craftsman
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 26 September 2014 - 03:58 PM

Neondog - "Four or five years ago the national rules for the US allowed only 40 and 50 caliber barrels and unmodified wire target darts. Commercial blowguns were almost unheard of in Germany at that time but there was a good sized blowgun community there with home made equipment. I tried for some time to sway the NSBA and then the ASBA to reconsider relaxing the bans on custom equipment with no results. About three years ago out of frustration, I launched the USBA and the competition (ASBA) folded despite my offers of co-existence such as that by the AFC and NFC in football."

Not exactly true.   Please let me set the record straight.  I am one of the biggest proponents of competition blowgun target shooting on the planet.  I want to thank the US SBA (NeonDog specifically) for taking up the helm and keeping the sport going in the USA.  I respect what you have done, and your local chapter. 

Bruce Bell introduced me to blowguns in 2003.  George M. ran the ASBA from 2001 to 2002, but could not get it off the ground as he hoped.  Bruce and I formed the National SBA in 2003, with the blessing of Dr. Higuchi (IFA founder), and George (yes, we tracked him down) and we ran the on the national level until I went in for cancer surgery in 2007.  Bruce was ticked at me for a while, wanting a lot more input into the rules, at the time not what Dr. Higuchi was talking about, and had been threatening to splinter off.  I was using strict IFA rules at the time, and ran the website - he was my graphics guy.  *ALL* target faces, and logos for various clubs (state, local, and some national were Bruce designed.  Amazing artist.  When I was told I had cancer (and never having had any type of surgery before), I shut down the NSBA, and turned it over to Bruce.   I literally feared for my life, not knowing if I would survive going under the knife, and put all my affairs in order. 

Bruce, with George's blessing, restarted the ASBA, but after a few months, realized it was not all peaches and cream to run a national organization correctly (notice the emphasis here), let it slip, which is where the US SBA came into play, and has been running the USA based national organization ever since.

Let it be known, once and for all, the International competitions MUST have a strict set of rules for equipment, target faces, distances, etc. If not, then the rest of the world looks at us as a group playing with dangerous toys, rather than a serious shooting sport.  This should also be emphasized at the national levels (one of the reasons Caveman's Germany club fell out of favor, 3 others tried there and fell).  France is now gone, South Africa, China, Switzerland, Mexico, Malaysia, Philippines, etc.  Additionally, the national organizations need to promote the sport.  I do not see this happening.

On April 17, 2011, Dr. Higuchi had named me the Shodai-Soke of the International Fukiaydo Association (next in line to replace him when he is no longer able to run the IFA).  This was done because I was the first non-Japanese sensei in the sport.  I earned the 7th dan rank in competitions, and am still rated (even though I have not competed since 2007) in the top 10 internationally (having scored 202 out of a perfect 210 seven different times in competitions). I have been the liaison of the IFA to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) since 2005, and as I have said multiple times .... Archery was banned from the Olympics for 40 years because they did not have a standardized set of rules.

That being said ....  let's move on and get competition blowgun target shooting on the path to the Olympics once again.  It all starts with YOU!

#30 craftsman

craftsman
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:25 AM

I love Bruce Bell's method of aiming.  Wrap a wire ( 0.50 cal. dart wire) around the barrel of a 0.40 or 0.50 cal. barrel, centered.  This forms an "O" with equal length wires to both sides.  Make these wires tangential to the top of the barrel.  Bend the tinal 0.25 inch (0.9 cm) length of each side of the wire 90 degrees vertical (pointing up), so it looks like a pair of horns. 

You will need to place the wire (depending on the distance from the target) either forward or back of a two insch setback from the muzzle end of the barrel.  When you aim, with both eyes open, you will see two barrel ends as you stare at the target.  Move the wire guide forward or back as needed, so that the Right upright from the Left image, and the Left upright from the right image overlay one another.  When this happens, place the double image on the center of the bullseye, your barrel will be perfectly aimed.

The hard part now will be to get the dart to where you are aiming.

As in the board game called "Othello" ...  Minutes to learn, but a lifetime to master!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users