• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 GhostHawk

GhostHawk
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFargo ND

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:01 PM

Tried carp a couple of times here, even steamed one whole (to get around the bone problem) it still tasted pretty muddy.

But I agree, it is one of my preferred Catfish baits.

I love catching them on rod and reel, especially on fairly light tackle. Their first run can be blistering. Since I"m mostly out there to get a "bend in my rod" they fit the bill nicely. Catching a 20lb carp on light spinning tackle with 8-10 lb line is for sure a blast.

For bait I prefer to scale them, then fillet the meat off the backbone, ribs. Cut into chunks, drop into ziplock bag with as much of the blood as I can scrape up.

I'm thinking about leaving a batch outside for 24 hours in the sun before freezing to get it to "ripen up" a bit more.

After a bag has made a couple of trips, frozen, thawed, refrozen a few times the ones at the bottom are getting pretty soft, and ripe. They work the best.

• Teach likes this

#22 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 12 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

I envy you guys in that  you have catfish. They are one of my favourite eating fish and I only get to eat them when I'm down here in Mexico for the winter. (first time this year). I've been letting my foo man choo mustache grow down here, startin to look like a catfish LOL. Thanks guys.

#23 Chimes

Chimes
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 12 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

Tried carp a couple of times here, even steamed one whole (to get around the bone problem) it still tasted pretty muddy.

But I agree, it is one of my preferred Catfish baits.

I love catching them on rod and reel, especially on fairly light tackle. Their first run can be blistering. Since I"m mostly out there to get a "bend in my rod" they fit the bill nicely. Catching a 20lb carp on light spinning tackle with 8-10 lb line is for sure a blast.

For bait I prefer to scale them, then fillet the meat off the backbone, ribs. Cut into chunks, drop into ziplock bag with as much of the blood as I can scrape up.

I'm thinking about leaving a batch outside for 24 hours in the sun before freezing to get it to "ripen up" a bit more.

After a bag has made a couple of trips, frozen, thawed, refrozen a few times the ones at the bottom are getting pretty soft, and ripe. They work the best.

I too cut them into chunks and seal them in ziplock bags, though I do not take the time to scale them :D. Since I catch them at night I usually cut them all up by the time it's daybreak, then I just leave them in the bags throughout the day. I've considered putting the chunks into a mason jar and burying them in the sand for a day before freezing them. 

#24 wellwas

wellwas
  • Registered
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 29 November 2016 - 04:59 AM

Got a lot of information here.Thanks for sharing. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users