Close
Photo
- - - - -

Want To Make Your Blowgun Shoot 700+ Fps ?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Hrawk

Hrawk
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:10 PM

As the title says, do you want to see a blowgun shooting 700+ fps with a few simple additions ?

First thing you need to get is a CO2 tyre inflater from your local bike shop or on-line. Be sure to get the type with a trigger. Expect to pay around $20 for one. Don't forget to get the CO2 cartridges to go with it, around 50c each. You'll get dozens of shots from a single cartridge. Oh, and grab a valve removing tool for a schrader valve while you are there. About $2 each and quite often included in tyre repair kits.

CO2 Tyre Inflator

la_12inn_ultraflateplus.jpg

Schrader Valve Core Removal Tool
1799006.jpg

Secondly you want to get yourself a rubber Schrader valve, the type used in car and motorbike tyres. These can be purchased in pretty much any auto store or salvaged from an old wheel. You can also cut them out of an old inner tube, but these are not so great though will work in a pinch.

Schrader Valve
China_TR413_tyre_valve2008723934309.jpg

Step 1 : Purchase or salvage the above components

Step 2 : Remove the core on the Schrader Valve

Step 3 : Attach the tyre inflater to the Schrader Valve

Step 4 : Hold the tyre inflater with schrader valve to the mouthpiece of your blowgun. You may want to modify the schrader valve for a better fit

Step 5 : Point the blowgun in a SAFE direction with an adequate backstop

Step 6 : Squeeze the trigger on the tyre inflater

Step 7 : Pick up your jaw.

#2 The Warrior

The Warrior
  • Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Cool. When I was young, my friend and I shot his old, wooden shed door with a homemade conduit bg, and a clothes hanger dart. The dart wasn't sharpened, but it stuck so far in the door, we had to get vise grips and a lot of effort to get it out before his dad saw it. We stuck the air chuck from his air compressor in the end, and gave it a blast with 100psi. We were probably standing about 15 feet away.

#3 jtilley

jtilley
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Mountains

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:17 PM

Yeah, i can see you are gonna get me in trouble...... I did build a blowgun once upon atime with a tank I filled to 100 psi then released it via a ball valve into the1/2" x 3' copper tube. Not sure of the velocity , but it put a 12" x 5/16" wooden dart through both sides of a 55 gallon plastic drum at 15 yards, it was impressive but inconvienient, tire inflator though.................. :-)

#4 Hrawk

Hrawk
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:22 PM

You're giving it a blast of about 700 PSI with the above setup.

#5 jtilley

jtilley
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Mountains

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:30 PM

Oh yeah, varmit killing machine :-)

#6 Hrawk

Hrawk
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I once used this setup to shoot a commercial .40 cal dart into a piece of hardwood.

The end result looked like a flattened spring. The shaft just folded up and wound around itself.

I never could remove it.

• jtilley likes this

#7 Hrawk

Hrawk
  • Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

Just be careful people if you do decide to try this.

#8 jtilley

jtilley
  • Registered
  • 41 posts
  • LocationThe Mountains

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:40 PM

Definately, because "Safety is no accident"

#9 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:53 AM

Wow! That's awesome! Don't try this at home!

#10 superman365

superman365
  • Registered
  • 182 posts
  • LocationMilky Way Galaxy

Posted 12 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I made an "air rifle" out of some 1/2 inch pvc, shrader valve, and a pvc valve....I usually pressurize it to 130 psi....shoots heavy duty homemade blowgun dart and 3/8in steel balls (superheavy ones)......first time i shot it....I used the 3/8 ball and shot it at about a 45 degree angle up....that thing fly so far and so fast.....I swear I almost crapped my pants.....I think a may have brokken someones window far far away but no way of knowing!! the darts  (duct tape cone with a big nail), when shot ino wood....never can get them out.....I'll see if i cant post a pic somewhere....

• Pelletor likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users