After reading some articles about blowgunning i decided to build my own bgs since the most recommendations pointed towards relatively pricey models.
In my closet i found a good piece of aluminium pipe. Bought as a piece of 1 meter with metric dimensions 12/1mm (outer diam./wall thickness) wich equals cal.40 (10mm=0.393 Inch).
After some filing and polishing walls, muzzle and mouth-end looked well.
As mouthpiece i choosed a spool for mason's line wich had the perfect diameter for the pipe. Cut in half it was almost perfect - only the 'plate' was too flat to fit tight. I heated it up over my stove and used a towel to press the hot plastik (PP i think) over a big a steel bowl.
Ammo was easily put together from paper, clear tape and nails.
My nail&paper-darts flew ugly but i already recognized there was potential for a precise tool in this thing!
The german blowgun-forum suggested wall-plugs as cones for diy-darts. So i cut some nail-wallplugs in half, inserted a smaller nail and glued some cell-foam to the ends. Now the gloves were off !!!!
From here i started to optimize my bg a little:
More weight and a more 'professional' looking mouthpiece had to be added.
Finally it looked like this:
The mouthpiece was made from a led-bulb socket, filled with silicone.
Not the best idea - the bulb socket is PP or PE so the silicone will dry very slowly and smell/taste like dissolver for a long time. This can't be healthy! But using this style of mp for a few shots, i learned that regular-style mouthpieces are not for my style of shooting - i press my tongue against the pipe before releasing the air - so i removet it and put on the old spool - yet my favorite (but way too ugly to be shown here)!!!
For muzzle-weight and protection i wrapped some electrical tape around the pipe and put a brass hose-connector on it.
Now - when used with proper needle darts - this is a sniper-tool!
The second bg had to be an evolution and ended up beeing a 1200mm, cal.50 (12,5mm).
I choosed the length according to the international rules of blowgunning.
Materials were aluminium-pipe 15,5/1,5mm, copper-pipe 18/1, walking stick bumper+rubber ring (plumbing-seal), brass hose-connector and DEDA-griptape for cycles.
This feels like a rel piece of sports-equipment. Only tested with "emergency-darts" it already showed some of its force......
To be continued.........!