• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#61 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 08 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Am I the only one that is using a combination of paper inside for stiffness and light duct tape or clear packing tape outside for my cones?

Looks like I'll have to dig the camera out.

From your response above I am assuming you mean taking a paper dart like those of mine above and putting a layer of packing tape over the outside to give them more strength and protect them from the moisture inside the barrel? Would love to see the pics.

One other method I've tried is to simply coat the new dart cones with fingernail polish. It gives the cones a water proof coating and adds more strength without making the cone stiff.

#62 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

500 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

Am I the only one that is using a combination of paper inside for stiffness and light duct tape or clear packing tape outside for my cones?

Looks like I'll have to dig the camera out.

From your response above I am assuming you mean taking a paper dart like those of mine above and putting a layer of packing tape over the outside to give them more strength and protect them from the moisture inside the barrel? Would love to see the pics.

One other method I've tried is to simply coat the new dart cones with fingernail polish. It gives the cones a water proof coating and adds more strength without making the cone stiff.

I have made paper cones and sprayed them with paint and also poly to make them more durable. I found that it was easier to make a new cone.

#63 GKU

GKU
  • Registered
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:57 PM

The one on the lift has one reverse lair of brown packing tape and one clear packing tape on the outside. A little lighter that the double one to the right and is more slippery going through the bore and more resistant to moisture. It's not as stiff as but oaky. IMO, stiffer cone seem to me to have a lot better accuracy down range (+30') then cones that flexes with that loader pop sound it make coming out of the muzzle. 

P9240900

#64 GhostHawk

GhostHawk
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFargo ND

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Not exactly, I start with aprox 1.5" x 1.5" square of paper, put a similar or slightly larger piece of tape on one side and roll it into a cone.

First pic, 1.5" paper square with piece of duct tape attached on one side ready to roll.

cone1.jpg

Second pic has the paper rolled into a cone around my thumb. At this point you can make it any shape you like.  Long and narrow, short and fat, or somewhere inbetween.

cone2.jpg

As long as the tape you use is wider than the paper, it should always cover it completely.

cone3.jpg

And here is a finished cone, ready to be marked and trimmed and glued. Takes longer to take the pictures than it does to roll up the cone.

cone4.jpg

Ready to be trimmed to size and mounted on your dart of choice.

Paper gives it stiffness, tape gives it water resistance and flexibility.

And doing them the way I showed makes it very fast and easy to do with this big fat old fingers of mine.

I've tried several kinds of paper, mostly what I use is post it notepad cut into pieces.

I've tried several kinds of tape, mostly what I use is plain jane gray duct tape.

For darts that I want to remain perfectly centered and last a long time I'll mist the inside paper lightly then drop in a couple drops of gorilla glue. It foams up locking it into a solid mass filling the cone halfway or more. Just make sure you have it straight.

#65 GKU

GKU
  • Registered
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:37 AM

IMHO, I'm not nocking your cones they look great !

"We tried all kinds of paper with all kinds of outer options and came to settle on the above, but I like the double brown card board packing tape cone the best. Very stiff and resistant to moisture, witch is a variable that does affect the accuracy of the dart used with. It changes the CoG of the dart enough to cause POI shifts down range with fliers. The paper insert tape cone that I made absorbed to much moisture so we gave that up about a year ago.

But, that's comparing tape cones. So far the best cone is the specula cones. Ever since I'm convinced the it is the most accurate cone so far. Accuracy is not the only thing, it's everything IMO."

#66 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:39 AM

GKU, I too am of that opinion that accuracy is "everything"! Granted I also like cheap and easily replaceable cones to for practice and hunting...........but if I can't hit what I'm shooting at because of a poorly constructed dart or simply a dart of inferior design What's the point? LOL Pun intended. I'm always searching for new ways and different methods of making cones because I am always on the search for better accuracy. I also love the sport of archery for those reasons. There is always something to tweak or adjust to make it just a little bit better.

I have watched this video several times now  and I'm convinced this guy is really onto something with his helical twist cones especially for hunting situations as the twist would definitely help overcome the "sail" affect broad heads can have on a dart or arrow when not properly aligned. I really want to try this method for myself but I am going to have to wait until I am back home again where I have to tools to make the forms etc. 

Has anyone here tried this type of cone making with a twist?

#67 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

500 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:50 AM

The one on the lift has one reverse lair of brown packing tape and one clear packing tape on the outside. A little lighter that the double one to the right and is more slippery going through the bore and more resistant to moisture. It's not as stiff as but oaky. IMO, stiffer cone seem to me to have a lot better accuracy down range (+30') then cones that flexes with that loader pop sound it make coming out of the muzzle. 

These cones look great! I am liking the idea of using multipe tape types.

#68 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

500 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:51 AM

Not exactly, I start with aprox 1.5" x 1.5" square of paper, put a similar or slightly larger piece of tape on one side and roll it into a cone.

First pic, 1.5" paper square with piece of duct tape attached on one side ready to roll.

cone1.jpg

Second pic has the paper rolled into a cone around my thumb. At this point you can make it any shape you like.  Long and narrow, short and fat, or somewhere inbetween.

cone2.jpg

As long as the tape you use is wider than the paper, it should always cover it completely.

cone3.jpg

And here is a finished cone, ready to be marked and trimmed and glued. Takes longer to take the pictures than it does to roll up the cone.

cone4.jpg

Ready to be trimmed to size and mounted on your dart of choice.

Paper gives it stiffness, tape gives it water resistance and flexibility.

And doing them the way I showed makes it very fast and easy to do with this big fat old fingers of mine.

I've tried several kinds of paper, mostly what I use is post it notepad cut into pieces.

I've tried several kinds of tape, mostly what I use is plain jane gray duct tape.

For darts that I want to remain perfectly centered and last a long time I'll mist the inside paper lightly then drop in a couple drops of gorilla glue. It foams up locking it into a solid mass filling the cone halfway or more. Just make sure you have it straight.

This is a great idea! I usially do two layers of tape ... but one layer of paper would make the cone much lighter I imagine. Plus the paper gives it rigidity.

#69 GhostHawk

GhostHawk
  • Registered
  • 24 posts
  • LocationFargo ND

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:27 PM

As a clarifying point almost all my shooting to date has been indoors at short ranges, 5-8m. So how well my style would do on long range is a very good question.

It is IMO a quick and easy way to make cones that work pretty well.

The speculum cones with a custom cutter can out perform them I'm sure.

But part of the equation for me needs to include time spent making. These are super quick and easy.

#70 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

500 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:31 PM

My least favorite part about making cones is trimming them to the correct size to fit the barrel. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves to make this process quicker and easier?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users