• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#71 Chimes

Chimes
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:25 PM

My least favorite part about making cones is trimming them to the correct size to fit the barrel. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves to make this process quicker and easier?

The video posted previously has a couple jigs in it for trimming the cones down to the correct size. I'm going to make one myself as soon as I can, can't stand doing it the way I'm using now.

#72 Chimes

Chimes
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:35 PM

Melted down the broad head darts that come with the CS blowguns, used the cones for forms and decided to attach the broad heads to the bamboo darts that come with the blowgun too. Just have to sharpen them up and straighten some of the shafts and I'm set!

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_0651.JPG
  • 100_0653.JPG

#73 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:06 PM

My least favorite part about making cones is trimming them to the correct size to fit the barrel. Does anyone have any tricks up their sleeves to make this process quicker and easier?

My method is not the greatest but it's a whole lot better than marking them and cutting with scissors. I made two sacrificial cones and put them point to point forming an hour glass shape and taped them together to hold them in that position. I then slid them into a section of barrel. The idea is that the open end of the upper most cone holds the point of the shaft in roughly the centre of the bore while the cone is trimmed with a box cutter or other really sharp knife. 

Rather than using cones as I did, I'd recommend using a section of dowel reduced in diameter to snugly fit into the bore so it holds itself firm but can also be pushed in one direction up or down within the bore section to allow for different lengths of shaft. Push the new dart and cones down into the bore until the dart's cone comes in full contact with the bore, then trim off the excess cone. 

Edit;

I forgot to mention that the dowel piece should have a hole bored in it's centre large enough to accept the size of dart shaft that will be used with the dart you are trimming. If you make a small enough hole in the dowel and don't trim your cones until after the point has been sharpened, the shafts will self centre themselves in the small hole in the dowel while trimming the opposite end at the cone.

#74 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:14 PM

Melted down the broad head darts that come with the CS blowguns, used the cones for forms and decided to attach the broad heads to the bamboo darts that come with the blowgun too. Just have to sharpen them up and straighten some of the shafts and I'm set!

Try sharpening the broad head blades only on one side and the same side of each blade, this will impart a spin to the dart and reduce the group size with broad head darts. Thats why it's always recommended to use helical vanes on arrows using broadheads. The rotation of the arrow minimizes the affect the blades of the broad head can have on the flight of the arrow. in the case of a dart, the only vanes you have really are the blades of the broad head. Spin them and I'm pretty sure you will have smaller groups. Good luck.

#75 GKU

GKU
  • Registered
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:53 PM

I try making twist cones and could not get the dart rear end to stop wobbling (looping)  when it was twirling around, causing poor accuracy after about +25'. I also notice that it would loose distance and not go as far, it ran out of gas down range prematurely.   :growl:

Milk jug cones was hard to make them constantly, well for me anyway. The length and shape we solved but the weight was a problem to get them all the same. They varied by about + and -  .08 grams witch had an effect on the CoG. Brown packing tape cones are all exactly the same length, shape and weight, .55 grams each. They are extremely accurate up to 100', a 5 shot grouping about the size of a CD. Oh, and they last long and are very cheep and easy to make. With my setup I can pump out 100 exact cones in an hour.

#76 GKU

GKU
  • Registered
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 09 January 2014 - 10:18 PM

#77 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

500 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

Nice video! And very nice cones!

#78 GKU

GKU
  • Registered
  • 68 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, HI

Posted 10 January 2014 - 01:04 AM

I know it's a pain in the --- to make all the jigs but, after that it's all good. A cookie cutter process all consistently the same !

Consistency is the key to good accuracy the one doesn't exist without the other. The road to accuracy is a very long one and can be cut sorter with the jig making. The short cut road to inaccuracy is even longer ...........

Thank for the great replies I appreciate it !
Also, Good Job Everybody keep it coming !

I recommend a 1.875" - 2" mandrel for a 1/3 ratio cone for a .625" bore. For good balance between range power and minimum side area to have less side pushing from the wind from having to long of a cone. CU ~ GKU

#79 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:22 PM

I try making twist cones and could not get the dart rear end to stop wobbling (looping)  when it was twirling around, causing poor accuracy after about +25'. I also notice that it would loose distance and not go as far, it ran out of gas down range prematurely.   :growl:

Milk jug cones was hard to make them constantly, well for me anyway. The length and shape we solved but the weight was a problem to get them all the same. They varied by about + and -  .08 grams witch had an effect on the CoG. Brown packing tape cones are all exactly the same length, shape and weight, .55 grams each. They are extremely accurate up to 100', a 5 shot grouping about the size of a CD. Oh, and they last long and are very cheep and easy to make. With my setup I can pump out 100 exact cones in an hour.

Thats fast work! It takes me that long after the first cone just to get all the tape off my fingers toes and nose before I can start again on the second cone! lol

#80 squirrelslinger

squirrelslinger
  • Registered
  • 114 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

to make your darts spin more, use 3/16 square pieces of 'boo. heat them up to 200+ deg F and twist them once twice.

Hold them until cool(like 30 seconds). 

they will stay twisted.

Sorta kinda acts like rifling.

Another way is to actually rifle your blowgun barrel(PVC). 

make a metal blade sorta like a broadhead, and slowly spin it and push it down the tube. do it several times. It actually works.

Tyvek is waterproof and makes great cones. Doesn't even need a tape coating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users