16 replies to this topic

#1 NightKnight

NightKnight

250 Club

• Administrators
  • PipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Let's talk about Hunting with a blowgun. What are the factors that need to be taken into account. I am hoping that some of our more experienced members can share their thoughts. Some examples of what I am looking to discuss is:
Is aiming different than target shooting due to elevation differences?
What is the minimum dart weight that should humanely be used for a quick kill?
Does blowgun length play a part in being more effective in hunting?

Please share your thoughts on hunting with blowguns.

#2 Carbon

Carbon
  • Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

I'm not experienced but I would never hunt with a blowgun with just plain darts. I don't think I could consistently get a clean kill without poison. Even with my sharpened nail darts the most I could expect to kill would be a small bird like a Starling.

• neondog likes this

#3 Cervantes

Cervantes
  • Registered
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTEXAS

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

A coworker of mine shot a squirrel with one of the coldsteel babmoo darts and it penetrated it in the right hip. Went in about 2-3 inches.

In Crosby TX, if you have fruit trees then you have tree rats..so it was not a hunt per se, but the animal is eadible (I've had plenty of squirrel from my back yard), but it was an attempt at a kill. To kill anything larger than a rat, you need to pierce the heart or lungs, or use a broad head to cause it to bleed out. This squirrel went into hig gear and was gone, never to be seen again..well we were lookikng for the squirrel with a handle hanging out of its rear.

#4 curare-five-oh

curare-five-oh
  • Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

Aiming and elevation is definitely different than target shooting because of shooting at unknown ranges.  The unknown range factor becomes more critical with heavy hunting darts that move slower than light weight target darts and have a more curved trajectory.  Another aiming difference:  when hunting you're usually trying to hit something at ground level, or above head level (like a bird or squirrel in tree) while with target shooting it's more likely around shoulder or face level.  So practice for hunting should probably include 3D targets like toy/stuffed animals placed in realistic locations.

#5 neondog

neondog
  • Registered Approved
  • 199 posts
  • LocationS.W. corner of Oklahoma

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

Another consideration is that paper targets don't jump when they hear a strange noise. I wanted to try and scare a sparrow out of the building I work in so I decided to send a very lightweight home made stunner past him  He was overhead and only about ten feet away. I aimed about three inches in front of him so he'd be sure and see it. He never saw it coming. I had to carry him out.

#6 Carbon

Carbon
  • Registered
  • 184 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

I've had the same thing happen to me Neo. I hunted with an airgun for years when I lived on a farm. One time a flock of sparrows or something landed on our barn. I just shot a warning shot across the roof but they all jumped and it hit one. It sat on the roof for a while... 

#7 one shot

one shot
  • Registered Approved
  • 40 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:26 PM

will guys we have not done any hunting lately but when we do i will post pics . just keeping youll informed 

#8 maddog

maddog
  • Registered
  • 4 posts
  • LocationNorthern MN

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Is aiming different than target shooting due to elevation differences?
What is the minimum dart weight that should humanely be used for a quick kill?
Does blowgun length play a part in being more effective in hunting?

Let me begin by stating that I am no expert, but thought I could shed a little light on your questions until others post.  First question seems answered, yes.  Second, darts need to be heavier than standard commercial darts and it is highly recommended that you use a .625 to help ensure that humane harvest.  As important as weight is type of dart.  That fancy custom x-acto broad head dart you made might fly through squirrel, but fall off of thick feathers (yet that modified stun dart might drop both).    Lastly, length is good.  The more pipe you have, the longer you’re able to add thrust behind those big heavy hunting darts. 

• NightKnight and neondog like this

#9 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

500 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:18 PM

I have never hunted. But I think ANY hunting is much different than shooting at a target. A blowgun is a great survival tool. 

#10 Gigmaster

Gigmaster
  • Registered
  • 53 posts
  • LocationChatsworth, Ga.

Posted 28 February 2013 - 02:48 AM

I hunt with my blowgun all the time. I even hunt quail with it using BBs and Shotgun wads. SO far, I have never wounded or failed to recover a shot animal. I use the bamboo darts for squirrels, and sometime spearhead darts for them as well. I use the large broadheads for rabbits, bullfrogs, and woodchucks.

The key to successful hunting is shot placement. I almost always hit them in the head, for an instant kill. Next choice is through the heart, another practically instant kill (no more than one or two jumps at most). If I can't get a good shot at either of these areas, I won't shoot. Quail are easy. You either hit them and they go down, or you miss them totally. 

• slingshot and Flockaduck like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users