Apparently blowguns suck?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Outdoorman.co

Outdoorman.co
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2014 - 10:47 PM

So I'm in another forum (I won't mention which one) and I brought up the topic of blowguns as a useful survival tool.  A lot of people responded saying that although blowguns are "fun" they aren't very useful when it comes to survival.

I argued that they would be very useful in a survival situation because they are:

1. Lightweight

2. Quiet

3. Accurate

They argued that they just aren't powerful enough and that you'd likely just end up injuring small game and it would die later after it ran/flew away.  

I personally have never used mine for hunting, but definitely have wanted to try.  

I'd like to hear from you.  Have you killed animals with your blowgun?  Do you disagree with their argument?  

#2 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

500 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:41 AM

I have never taken game. Although I have talked to and seen pictures and footage from people who have. Very successfully too. Also.... It would be a deterrent to many pests and even intruders. Imagine a nail dart to the neck or eye socket?

#3 Chimes

Chimes
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 January 2014 - 09:06 AM

I have never taken game. Although I have talked to and seen pictures and footage from people who have. Very successfully too. Also.... It would be a deterrent to many pests and even intruders. Imagine a nail dart to the neck or eye socket?

:phew: Or maybe a nice CS stun dart to the scrotum  :startle: 

On topic, yes I disagree with their argument. I too have seen plenty of kills with blowguns! They are probably thinking about the .40/50 cal blowguns with the target darts anyways. At least that's what I would imagine when someone mentioned a blowgun, seeing how I didn't know they made big bore blowguns. Now that I know and own one, I am 100% sure they can take game. I plan to take some game with mine when Mother Nature decides to stop hating on us with this weather :3.

#4 orcrender

orcrender
  • Gold Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 13 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

I can say that a .50 cal with a finishing nail dart can take out a rock pigeon.  I am not sure of the nail size since it was not my dart or blowgun.  It looked to be 3 inches of nail after the cone.

#5 Chimes

Chimes
  • Registered
  • 46 posts
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 13 January 2014 - 01:52 PM

I can say that a .50 cal with a finishing nail dart can take out a rock pigeon.  I am not sure of the nail size since it was not my dart or blowgun.  It looked to be 3 inches of nail after the cone.

Oh I know they can, with homemade darts a .50 can be lethal. I'd still much rather use my .625 though, or a homemade 6' bamboo blowgun with the 12" bamboo darts with the cotton plugs. Only because I think those are the most epic of blowguns :D I shall make myself one like the tribes in the Amazon make!

#6 treefork

treefork

250 Club

• Registered Approved
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 15 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

I disagree with the argument. A large bore blowgun with razor broad heads will kill  small game effectively. 

#7 one shot

one shot
  • Registered Approved
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:51 PM

We have hunted rabbit , squirrel , bullfrog , crawfish and lots of snakes . We also been successful with taking all of them with blowguns. The rabbits run a bit but not far with a good shot , I use broadheads for those and squirrel . I'm with you on upswing it as a survival tool the people that disagree just haven't been accurate enough to be successfull with it .

#8 one shot

one shot
  • Registered Approved
  • 40 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

I hate this auto correct , it's changing my words sorry for the mistypes

#9 craftsman

craftsman
  • Registered
  • 85 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

Take a vacation over to Gatlinburg, TN.  (Near Pigeon Forge, take in Dollywood while you're there).  Take a side trip to Cherokee, NC (they have a 1700's restored Cherokee Village there.  They hand make blowguns from 6 fy. long River cane (American cousing to bamboo), with 17 in. long darts made from hardwood sprints, with thistle down or rabbit fur used as  the "plug" (tailcone).  If you're lucky, you'll meet River Driver, one of the top Cherokee blowgunners alive.

He can tell  you stories about deer hunting using these blowguns.  They used no poisons.

(Oh, quick clarification, the Amazonian indigenous peoples who make curare (poison arrows / darts from plants) ...  that is NOT a poison, it is a muscle relaxant.  If your heart muscle is relaxed for too long, you will die.  Its effect lasts for a while (varies by individual), but if you receive proper treatment, you will survive.  However, it is so nasty, just don't mess with it.) 

• gshouse2004 likes this

#10 neondog

neondog
  • Registered Approved
  • 199 posts
  • LocationS.W. corner of Oklahoma

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:48 PM

If we are talking long term survival as in SHTF or EOTWAWKI I'd recommend a stainless steel blowgun. I have seen a couple of aluminum barrels that went from fine to almost useless in just a few years because the owner never cleaned them. When you are up the creek, your supply of toilet paper runs out pretty quick. You could swab the barrel with natural materials but it'll probably leave some moisture behind. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users