• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Farabomb

Farabomb
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 02:41 PM

Hello all,

I just spent a weekend playing with a blowgun I purchased from Amazon. I've been looking at them for a while and I made an impulse buy. After a weekend with it it may have not been my best purchase but for the $15 it cost I'm not that upset. 

It is a Predator .40 48" 2 piece that came with 12 wire darts. I've already realized the 2 piece is a bad idea. There is a obvious bend so that can't help accuracy. I've also managed to crack the connector but I've fixed it enough to still have fun. After about an hour the woman is already asking "where's mine?" I don't think I'll have issue procuring funds in the future. 

I've scanned the forums a little and already have more than a few ideas. I've looked around my shop today but sadly I haven't found any scrap tubing that would work. I originally thought that making the darts would be a bit of an issue. After reading a little I don't think that will be a problem. 

I come from a family of machinists and I build a road race Subarus for fun. I'm pretty handy and have quite a selection of tools. Hopefully I can contribute to the forum soon. 

It took too long for me to get into this. I've been looking at blowguns for years but I never took the leap. Silly me.

#2 treefork

treefork

250 Club

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Welcome to the forum. With your skills you will come up with something good. Make sure you post your results. We all learn from one another.

#3 Lacumo

Lacumo
  • Registered
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:40 PM

Welcome to BGF!

#4 Farabomb

Farabomb
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thanks all,

Been doing some reading and leaning a lot. I see a lot of paper being used for cones and darts themselves. I work in the printing industry as my full time job so I have access to almost unlimited types of paper. I'm thinking of bringing some samples on my camping trip and seeing what I come up with.

Right now I'm scrounging around the shop looking for something to fix the connector that broke on my 2 piece. It cracked along the mold line when I was first putting it together. I don't have any .5 in ID tubing around but I did find some reinforced plastic tubing that fits quite tight. It works but it's still too floppy for my tastes, better than the broken POS but still will affect accuracy. I may have found a piece of copper tubing I can use as a sleeve to firm it up.

Even though in NJ blowguns are legal I don't think I have ever seen a store that stocks them. I really want to pick up a Cold Steel B6255P before my trip to our family land in Upstate NY but finding one local either in NJ or NY looks to be impossible. If anyone knows of a store in NNJ or the Sidney area of NY please let me know. Amazon doesn't stock the P model and Walmart's ship to store won't get there till the 17th.

Even without I think we will have enough fun with the .40. Hopefully my dog will get over trying to chase after the darts. When we shoot trap he thinks it's a big game of fetch. Gonna have to break him of that habit. 

#5 smalltowngirl13

smalltowngirl13
  • Administrators
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 06:54 PM

Congrats and welcome to the forum...

#6 NaturalFork

NaturalFork

500 Club

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:22 PM

Welcome! The 40 cal two pieces I have heard bad things about. Grab a .50 cal 48 incher or a big bore if you are really into it. Also making one is pretty easy.

#7 Farabomb

Farabomb
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:45 PM

Yea, the 2 piece doesn't seem to be the way to go. Even with what I was able to cobble together to brace the connection better there still was a obvious bend to the tube. If I can manage to find a solid sleeve that exactly matches the o.d. of the tube it can be salvaged. Right now I'm using it at half size.

I have a 36 on order and after that I am considering a . 50 48 CT from target zone.

Fyi, don't ever get the darts from predator. The cones are not reamed correctly for the darts and it's almost impossible to get a straight dart without modification. If I find a pin drill of the right diameter I might be able to salvage them.

#8 treefork

treefork

250 Club

• Registered
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:12 PM

When it comes to the two piece Cold Steel big bore, It is the way to go. Perfect union of the two pieces.I recommend it. I have an old 6 foot two piece 40 cal and it is a good one. Depends on the maker and the coupling with the 40 cals. 

#9 Farabomb

Farabomb
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

After a screwup on Walmart's part I received my 5' cold steel pro. About 2 of the mini broadheads are usable, the rest of the cones are damaged almost beyond repair. The other broadheads are all toast, the shafts are warped badly. The rest are fine. Luckily I already had 25 mini broadheads so it's not that bad.

You guys were not kidding. This is a serious tool. I'll still play with the .40 but I'll be concentrating on working with the big guy.

#10 Teach

Teach
  • Registered
  • 165 posts
  • LocationGuadalajara, Jalisco, Mexico

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:43 AM

LOL, I think we are seeing a new .625 convert here Treefork. Whatdayathink?

Farabomb, I started with a .40 cal. But once I tried a .625 I never went back nor will I unless there is nothing else available. The big bores are just so much nicer to shoot with a satisfying thunk into whatever they hit.

Glad you got a CS BG. If the cones are simply squashed/bent out of shape........they can be salvaged with heat and a sphere the size of a regular glass marble. Just heat up the cones until they become flexible and use the mable in the back end to open them back up again to a perfect round circle. You can cool them quickly with a cold water quench.

Welcome to the forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users